2023 PEI Museum Heritage Award Recipients
Heritage Recognition Awards:
- Arnold Smith and Carter Jeffery - restoring and preserving the former Credit Union building in Rustico
- Elizabeth "Betty" Gillis - documenting the genealogy of Prince Edward Island
- Culture Summerside - sensitive rehabilitation of the historic 1911 Armoury on Summer Street
- Dan and Marlene MacDonald - commitment to the Island's literary community with The Bookmark
- Leonard Cusack - sharing Island history through the book "Caught in a Changing Society: St. Dunstan's University 1950 - 1969"
- Pieter and Daria Valkenburg - powerful research project, "On the War Memorial Trail"
- Theresa Redmond - sharing Island history through the book "Bound"
- Christine and Malcom Stanley - restoring and renovating 142 Nelson Street in Victoria-by-the-Sea
- Clem Gallant – collecting and preserving the stories and heritage of his Acadian ancestry
- Caspar & Monique Geurts - restoring 33 Nelson Street in Victoria-by-the-Sea
- Denver Parkman - restoring and preserving the old Weeks house in Fredericton Station Road
- Frank Gillan - sharing history through his book "The Gillan Journey: Country Antrim to Peakes Road"
- John Joe Sark - publication of his book "Epekwitk: Stories and Histories of the Mi'kmaq Nation"
- Kate MacQuarrie - conserving and sharing the natural heritage of Prince Edward Island
- Linda, Eric, and Emma Gilbert - restoring 7 Main Street in Victoria-by-the-Sea
- Miriam Ann Neill - producing the five-volume history of the Coles Family of PEI
- Tamara Steele - upholding and promoting the rights, culture, heritage, and achievements of the Black community of PEI
Volunteer of the Year Award
Glenaladale Heritage Trust for restoring the Glenaladale House and Estate
Youth Volunteer of the Year
Jenna Smith for preserving and restoring the province's historic treasures
Natural Heritage Activity Award
Mike Durant for his extensive work preserving the natural heritage of Prince Edward Island
Publication of the Year Award
Alan MacEachern and Edward MacDonald for presenting the book "The Summer Trade: A History of
Tourism on Prince Edward Island"
Mary Cornfoot Brehaut Award
Gordon Pierce for his longtime contribution to genealogy and family history in the Eastern Kings area of PEI
Irene Rogers Award
Under the Spire Music Festival for preserving the architectural heritage of St. Mary's Church in Indian River, PEI
Boyde Beck Memorial Bursary
Fiona Steele for her contributions to oral history and storytelling of Prince Edward Island
Award of Honour
John Joe Sark in recognition of his lifelong contribution to preserving and sharing the heritage of the Epekwitnewaq Mi'kmaq and more broadly, of Epekwitk